Friday, March 21, 2008

i am so proud.

To step forward a moment, here we are today. 62 days post the rupture of my mom's aneurysm. She is home, upset it's snowing so hard that she can't drive to church. So instead she decides to nap on the couch, taking a break from Easter preparations. Amazing? I think so. We all think so. Though sometimes we must remind her of that fact, as she thinks she's just fine. Each day I am utterly amazed at her recovery - each new day brings a bit more strength to her voice, a deeper chuckle to her laugh, a shorter nap and a bigger smile. Sure, there have been setbacks to her positive outlook. Sure, there have been discouraging conversations with doctors who tell her she can't go back to work for many months. But then she remembers (sometimes after some slight reminders from me!) that she's here, alive and well, among her husband, children and grandchildren. What more could you ask for?

There are times we must remind her of the horror and trauma that we went through, particularly my dad. I don't know that I'll ever be able to understand the terrible thoughts and visions I'm sure he still carries with him from that January 19. He watches my mom like a hawk and sometimes seems to annoy her incessantly, but then we have to remember what he saw and probably still has nightmares about. She does not remember, so we must remind her.

How every new holiday since that fateful day has meant so much. We have been lucky enough to celebrate as a family my 28th birthday, the birth of my new nephew, her new grandson, my mom's 61st birthday, St. Patrick's Day and now Easter on Sunday. It's truly amazing.

I am so proud.

No comments: