Tuesday, March 25, 2008

my best friend.

As I sat by my mom's bedside in the neuro-ICU for days on end, I had countless hours available to me to think, ponder, cry and just watch my mom's every movement, still in disbelief each day that this was really happening. Who ever thinks their young and vibrant mom would be seemingly helpless lying in the ICU, her body taken over by beeping machines, tubes and drains. Even a drain coming straight out of her head (a vision I hope to one day be able to erase out of my head.) The machines, the fact my mom had not left a bed for days, weeks, having no idea where she was turned her into someone she's not. For those of you who have been through this, you know exactly what I mean. That ICU and the machines can surely do a number on someone. I just wanted my mom back each day I sat there by her side, watching TV or doing crossword puzzles (at least in the early days) and I am lucky enough to have her.

Sitting at her bedside for hours made me realize how she is my best friend and how lucky I am to have that in my mom. I know way too many people that are not blessed with the relationship I have with their mothers. Sometimes I think it's sad it took a horrific event like this for me to truly realize what we have and how much I love her, but so what. Better now than never, right? I almost didn't have that chance to realize it, but I did get another chance. Another chance I am so grateful for. And to have her back just the way she was - we could not have been any luckier. She really is...


my best friend.

No comments: